Protecting Your Lips This Winter
There’s a lot to love about the winter months. Chapped lips, however, are not one of them. If you suffer from dry or cracked lips during the winter, you are certainly not alone. Not only do your lips stay exposed to the elements, but they are made of thin skin with no oil glands. This can make it very easy for the cold, dry hair to negatively impact your lips.
The good news is that there are some simple ways that you can retain moist and kissable lips – regardless of the weather conditions outside.
Tips for Avoiding and Soothing Chapped Lips During Winter
- Run a humidifier in your home to replace your dry air.
- Limit lip licking (your saliva only aggravates dry lips).
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Apply a non-irritating lip moisturizer several times a day and before bed.
- Avoid lip products containing camphor, eucalyptus, flavoring, menthol or lanolin.
- Consider think ointment to seal in water longer.
- Ensure that your lip balm has sunscreen to avoid sun damage or burn.
- Avoid spicy foods.
In most cases, you can heal your chapped lips on your own in just 2-3 weeks if you follow the above tips. However, it is important to know when to see a dermatologist for dry and uncomfortable lips, especially if they are not improving. Chapped lips aren’t always the result of cold winter air. An allergic reaction, yeast infection or other skin condition can cause lip irritations.
Need help for your red, dry or cracked lips? Contact Spectrum Dermatology. We offer services in general dermatology and cosmetic skin rejuvenation to pamper and soothe your lips this winter.
Posted on behalf of
1725 Windward Concourse, Suite 120
Alpharetta, GA 30005
Phone: (470) 731-8010
FAX: (470) 731-8005
Monday - Friday 8AM - 5PM